Bulls push winning streak to nine after win at Stetson

The Bulls combined for 30 runs over three games in its sweep against Alcorn State this weekend, but the team’s offense wasn’t present until extra innings in Deland, Florida against Stetson last night.

USF (23-14) beat Stetson (21-17) in what was mostly a pitching duel until things got out-of-hand in the 13th inning.

Sophomore Mike Clarkson entered the game with an ERA over 4, and didn’t give up a run in 5 2/3 innings of work.

The biggest success for Clarkson was his ability to overcome his command issues. The right-hander entered the year with 14 walks compared to 11 strikeouts. Last night, he walked two batters and gave up two hits as well. But the bullpen couldn’t hold up Clarkson’s established lead.

No runs were scored by either team from innings 8-12 even though both teams threatened to score multiple times.

The Bulls put runners in scoring position in both the 10th and 11th innings, but couldn’t bring them home.

USF bats woke up in time and they scored four runs in the 13th to clinch the victory.

The big plays of the inning were a double by senior Jimmy Falla and a single by senior Chris Norton. The double by Falla came with the bases loaded and those ended up being the only runs USF would need to win the game.

USF escaped another extra innings battle Tuesday night. The Bulls travel to UConn to take on the Huskies in a three-game series beginning on Friday at 6:30 p.m.