USF beats Pitt in walk-off fashion

USF completed a three-game sweep of No. 30 Pittsburgh in a 3-2 win on Sunday, thanks to a walk-off single by center fielder James Ramsay.

Bulls fans at USF Baseball stadium rose for a standing ovation as Rocky and others huddled around Ramsay at the end of the game.

“I just looked for my pitch and fortunately I was able to hit it in play,” Ramsay said.

The junior, who went 2-for-5 with one RBI, said he believes that gaining series wins against Big East opponents are vital to the team’s success.

“It’s huge to get sweeps in conference games,” Ramsay said.

Coach Lelo Prado cited a cohesive effort as the reason for the positive outcome against the Panthers.

“When everybody is on the same page good things happen,” Prado said.

The Bulls (18-14, 7-2) clinched the series with a 7-6 comeback win on Saturday.

Despite being down two runs in the ninth, USF’s batters kept their cool at the plate and capitalized on Pitt’s pitching mistakes to score three runs in the inning.

Senior first baseman Jimmy Falla drew a walk with the bases loaded to bring the Bulls within one. Kyle Teaf followed by tying the game at six after crossing the plate on a wild pitch.

Ramsey, who advanced to third on the play, came around to score the winning run after Zac Gilcrease was hit by Pitt (20-9, 3-3) pitcher Jon Danielczyk.

Prado said he was happy with the team’s persistence and believes that it can make things tougher on future opponents.

“I like that fight that they are showing,” Prado said.

“When we show that kind of resilience, we’re going to be hard to beat,” Prado said.

USF continues its home stand against UCF (18-14) at 7 p.m at the USF Baseball Stadium on Wednesday.