USF goes 1-2 in series, loses at Georgetown

USF missed out on an opportunity to earn its fifth Big East conference win after being defeated in the rubber match of a three-game set, 7-2, at Georgetown over the weekend.

The Bulls lost their grip on the series win after allowing the Hoyas to score four runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.

USF third baseman Levi Borders committed a crucial error on a fielder’s choice grounder, which helped Georgetown gain additional scoring opportunities and finish the frame with a 6-2 lead.

One run scored on Borders’ blunder and then back-to-back RBI singles by Georgetown’s three and four hitters Justin Leeson and Nick Collins followed.

The senior centerfielder Leeson caught USF’s defense off-guard by pulling a rare squeeze attempt to drive in a run, and Collins lined one to left to score two for the Hoyas.

Seniors Jimmy Falla and Chris Norton helped piece USF’s offensive production together.

Falla drove in the first run of the contest in the opening inning with a sharp groundout to short and Norton stroked a single to right in the sixth to bring him home to score USF’s second and final run of the ballgame.

Freshman Levi Borders played a pivitol role for the Bulls, helping USF to a 10-6 win in extras on Friday.

Borders drove in the leading run of the game in the 10th inning with an RBI single to put USF on top, 7-6, and then scored on an error later in the inning.

Falla and Norton played a significant role in the victory as well — the four and five combo brought in three runs for USF with its three base hits.

USF (14-14, 4-2) will face Stetson (13-15) at home on Tuesday at 7 p.m.