Bulls look to continue winning streak before Big East opener

The Bulls softball team will try to extend it winning streak to 16 on Wednesday night against Dartmouth on the right arm of pitcher Sam Greiner.

With five consecutive wins, the Bulls would pass last seasons record of 19 wins in a row, but that isnt the teams focus, coach Ken Eriksen said.

We take it by the moment, he said. Thats too far ahead. I never think that far ahead. I mean, I might not even live that long.

Eriksen makes it through Wednesdays contest and Thursdays game against Cornell, theres a chance he will witness an individual accomplishment of what he said was one of the best players hes coached.

Bulls junior pitcher Sara Nevins is 10 strikeouts shy of breaking assistant coach Monica Triners USF Softball Hall of Fame record of 641 career strikeouts.

Much like Eriksen, Nevins is living in the moment.

I didnt even know about the record until they told me, she said. I havent talked to Coach Triner about it either.

Nevins will be available out of the bullpen on Wednesday and Thursday, after Eriksen said Greiner will start Wednesday, and freshman left-hander Erica Nunn will likely start Thursday against Cornell.

If Nevins doesnt break the record in the next two games, shes likely to break it this weekend in a three-game Big East opening series against Rutgers.

Strong performances by Greiner and Nunn against Dartmouth and Cornell would allow Eriksen to rely heavily on his veteran pitching duo of Nevins and senior Lindsey Richardson this weekend.

Richardson, who was named Big East Pitcher of the Week, has combined with Nevins to throw six complete game shutouts in the last six games.

I love the way theyre ham-and-egging it right now, Eriksen said, If you corner them in a dark alley, I wouldnt want to face them. Theyre both fighters.

Greiner, a sophomore, hasnt pitched since March 12 but has been dominant in her own right.

The New Jersey native hasnt allowed an earned run in 15 and 2/3 innings pitched since Feb. 24.

Her earned run average has dropped from 4.80 to 2.05 in that time span. She will make her first start for the Bulls (21-10) since March 9, when she threw a complete game shutout against Wagner.

Dartmouth is 8-5 in the midst of a Florida road trip and has faced several of the same teams that the Bulls have in the last few weeks.

Nunn hasnt pitched since March 12 as well. She started against Quinnipiac and gave up three earned runs in two innings, a week after badly bruising her knee on a foul ball while batting. Shes been a reliable pitcher as freshman, posting an ERA that hovered around 2.00 until her last start.

The North Carolina native has struggled at the plate so far in her freshman campaign, where she is tied for the team lead in strikeouts in only 25 at-bats.

The Cornell Big Red are 6-7 but 4-3 in their last seven contests. They scored a total of 23 runs in three games on Sunday.