Bulls Split series with Boston College

The bases were loaded with two outs. The few fans that happened to be in the crowd fell silent as the pitch was delivered.

Freshman Levi Borders connected on a pitch and rocketed it into deep centerfield.

Racing back, Boston College center fielder Tom Bourdon brought up his glove to snag the long fly ball, but came up just short as the ball grazed off his glove. To the delight of Bulls fans, every man on base raced home and the Bulls claimed their first lead of the series against the Golden Eagles.

The rest of the night would end up playing out in the Bulls favor as well. USF (5-7) split the series against Boston College (3-8), winning 9-4 on Wednesday and losing 10-4 on Tuesday.

Coach Lelo Prado talked about how happy he was for his team and its victory on Wednesday.

Im glad the way they bounced back, he said. Now weve gotta get to practice, get better and get ready for Friday.

USF scored in the first three innings of the second game of the series and showed its potential.

The Bulls not only smacked the ball around the diamond, but showed hustle in the field as well. Fielders sprinted to every ball and never gave up on plays. Diving grabs and throwing runners out on the run was the theme of Wednesday night. Pitching was also a key factor considering Bulls pitchers combined to only give up five hits over the course of the game.

The games weve gotten good pitching, we won, Prado said.

In the first game of the series, everything seemed to fall apart for the Bulls.

Poor pitching and sloppy play were the main causes for the defeat. USF committed four errors on Tuesday evening and they came at inopportune times. Errors resulted in three extra runs and killed any momentum the Bulls had mustered.

We continue to make errors and that bothers me. If were gonna be a good team, weve gotta have good pitching and we need to make those plays, Prado said.

USF hopes that they can continue to play as they did on Wednesday night. Looking forward, the Bulls face Valparaiso in a three-game series starting on Friday.