Bulls cant pull upset in last home game

It was Senior Day on Saturday afternoon at the Sun Dome, but it felt like a road game for the Bulls.

An unusually high attendance of 5,358 was present to watch USF (19-9, 8-7) match up with UConn (27-2, 14-1).

From the opening basket from UConn, it was apparent why the crowd was so large.

Fans of the Huskies were out in full force for USFs final home game of the regular season. But despite their lack of numbers, Bulls fans showed their pride by matching the raucous cheering of the UConn section.

Despite the cheering on senior day, USFs two biggest seniors, guards Andrea and Andrell Smith, struggled to find a groove against UConn as the Bulls lost, 85-52.

Andrea, who usually leads the Bulls in scoring, managed a 10-point performance, andAndrell contributed with seven of her own.

Even USFs lead scorer,junior forward Inga Orekhova with13 points, was overshadowed by two dominant performances from the Huskies.

UConn sophomore guardKaleena Mosqueda-Lewis posted 32 points, going 6-of-12 fromthree-point range. Her teammate, junior center Stefanie Dolson, put up 25 points as she went a perfect 9-of-9 from the free-throw line.

This didnt give Bulls fans much to cheer for. After the first few minutes of play, the game quicklyescalated into a blow out, and USF was unable to claw its way back into the game.

USF coach Fernandez said he wasnt pleased with how the game turned out.

We didnt give ourselves a chance today, Fernandez said,regarding his teams effort.

The Bulls trailed the game by 19 at halftime and the UConn fans seemed to become moredeafening as the lead increased.

Looking forward, the Bulls will close the season at Georgetowntonight at 8 p.m.

Fernandez said while he is upset with the outcome, he hasexperienced being in the position that USF is currently in.

Ive been in this place before where youre 8-8 or 9-7 and on the bubble, and its not a good place to be for us, Fernandez said.

The past two losses for USF makes the final game of the season against Georgetown all the more important.

Fernandez said despite therecent losses, the teams two wins against Top 25 teams shouldnt be overlooked.

For us, Monday is a must-win for us to get to the NCAAtournament, he said.