Short-handed Bulls fall to Villanova

After a dismal performance at home against No. 24 Marquette, the USF mens basketball team was back on the road on Saturday in a rematch against Villanova.

Hoping to regroup from the loss and end their five-game losing streak, the Bulls (10-13, 1-10) continued to struggle in offense as they played without their leading scorer and rebounder Victor Rudd who sat out with a groin injury as the Wildcats (15-9, 6-5) defeated USF 68-40.

Freshmen guard JaVontae Hawkins was the only Bull in double figures with 13 points as USF shot 23 percent, 11-of-47 from the floor.

In the first half, the Bulls struggled to get their offense moving as the Wildcats defense held the Bulls to shooting 5-for-22 from the floor, 23 percent, and five turnovers while Villanova shot 13-for-20 from the floor, including a shot at the buzzer to give them a 39-16 lead at halftime.

Villanova continued their onslaught in the second half, leading by many as 34 points and holding the Bulls to their season low for field goals made (11) and season worst from the 3-point arc, shooting 1-for-17 from the floor, five percent.

Wildcats Darrun Hilliard led all scorers with 17 points and one steal.

The Bulls look to end their six-game losing streak, dropping 10 of their last 11 games, as they return home to take on Providence on Wednesday at 9 p.m. The game is the first of two consecutive home games.