New agreement gives more credit toward associate degrees

USF has finalized an agreement to set up a system with Florida College System (FCS) colleges which will allow for easier reverse credit transferring and improve student access to two-year degrees by allowing students transferring from USF to an FCS school to receive credit for the courses they have already taken.

Genshaft, along with presidents from Hillsborough Community College, Pasco-Hernando Community College, Polk State College and St. Petersburg College, signed the new agreement on Monday in the Patel Center for Global Solutions.

The arrangement was reached a little more than a year after an initial agreement was signed between the colleges and the university which guarantees admission into USF upon completion of an associates degree.

USF President Judy Genshaft said she believes the new agreement could have potential benefits for the local economy in addition to returning and transferring students.

For many people, an associate degree is the difference in getting a good job or a promotion. This agreement removes a barrier to their future success, Genshaft said in a press release. We are making the process for awarding credit when credit is due seamless and easy. I hope thousands of people take advantage of this opportunity to establish their educational credentials and move forward in their professional lives.

Staff report