UPDATED: Rape reported in Marshall Student Center restroom

A male victim filed a complaint with University Police (UP) on Friday, a week after he was allegedly raped in a Marshall Student Center (MSC) public restroom.

UP spokeswoman Lt. Charlotte Domingo said the incident occurred between two USF-affiliated males sometime on the afternoon of Jan. 18 in the second floor unisex restroom. Domingo said the two are not students, but could not provide more information about their association with the university.

No arrests have been made, as Domingo said the case is still under investigation as of Sunday afternoon.

Sujit Chemburkar, director of the MSC, said there are several security procedures in place at the MSC, should anyone find themselves in potentially
dangerous situations.

If anything goes wrong, students can always call 911, but they can also approach the information desk on the first floor which is always staffed, Chemburkar said. There are several security cameras throughout the building. They are put in major entrances and hallways.

Though Chemburkar said the security cameras are not constantly monitored, they are constantly recording.

Domingo said no witnesses have been identified yet, but anyone with related information or who has heard or seen
anything related to the incident, is encouraged to call University police at (813) 974-2628.

According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice, one in four college women and one in seven college men have been the victims of rape or attempted rape.

This is the first sexual
battery complaint UP has
received in 2013.