Daniels done for season

Amid the celebration of the USF football teams first win since week two and the defenses first two interceptions of the season, senior quarterback B.J. Daniels likely took his last snap as a USF Bull, having suffered a broken ankle in the win.

With his injury, from what Im being told at this point, it is likely a broken ankle and B.J. will be done for the year, coach Skip Holtz said Saturday. As nice as it is to win it comes with the other part of your heart (thats) broken for a young man that has competed his tail off and given everything that hes had to this university for the last four years. Its just painful. Its hard.

The injury is reminiscent of one suffered by senior quarterback Matt Grothe in 2009, which ended Grothes career and forced Daniels into the lineup as a redshirt freshman. Daniels will finish his career with 10,501 total yards, finishing third all-time in the Big East behind Pat White and Grothe, and second in USF history behind Grothe.

Much like Grothes injury, USF will once again be relying on a redshirt freshman to take the reigns of the offense. Matt Floyd stepped in after Daniels was injured on a 15-yard scamper that took USF inside the Husky 10-yard line, threw a catchable pass to receiver Andre Davis in the end zone and led another field goal drive.

After an off week, USF will take on the Miami Hurricanes in Miami, and, for the third consecutive time against the Hurricanes, the Bulls will rely on a backup quarterback. Bobby Eveld was thrust into action in the previous two games against Miami because of Daniels previous injuries.

Its like the first time you throw your car keys to your 16-year old, Holtz said in reference to Floyds increased role on the USF offense. You hold your breath, youve taught him well, youve driven with him, youve done everything you can and you have to go out there and let him play.