Lasting images of summer 2012

Summer 2012 was an eventful semester that saw long postseason runs, coaching departures and additions to athletic facilities. With the semester coming to a close and the preparations for fall sports underway, The Oracle takes a look at some of the major stories in USF sports during the summer semester.

May 11

The USF baseball team won four of its last six games, en route to the fourth seed in the Big East Tournament. The Bulls made their first ever Big East title game, which they lost to Cincinnati.

May 20

Sara Nevins won three games in the Gainesville Regional to send the USF softball team to an NCAA Super Regional in Tampa.

May 27

The USF softball team celebrated its first two Super Regional wins in school history, and sealed a spot in its first ever Womens College World Series, where they lost to LSU and Oklahoma.

June 7

USF baseball pitchers Andrew Barbosa (pictured), Derrick Stultz and Austin Adams were selected in the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft.

The longest tenured coach in USF history, former mens tennis coach Don Barr, stepped down after 20 years.

June 13

Days after Barr resigned, volleyball coach Claire Lessinger stepped down, citing her mothers recent cancer diagnosis.

June 20

USF Athletics broke ground on a new facility for the USF golf teams, which will include state-of-the-art amenities for athletes and coaches.