Administrators emails reveal plan to handle Sandusky report in 2001

According to an email exchange cited on CNNs Anderson Cooper 360 Friday night, Penn State administrators developed a plan for dealing with reports of Jerry Sanduskys interactions with a minor in 2001 in which they agreed to talk to the former coach before alerting authorities though no report to authorities was ever made.

Susan Candiotti, a national correspondent with the program, reported that CNN obtained four email exchanges between former University President Graham Spanier, former interim Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz and former Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley.

Sandusky was found guilty last week on 45 of 48 counts of child sex abuse involving 10 boys he met through his charity, The Second Mile.

The first email cited in the report, dated Feb. 26, 2001, was an exchange between Schultz and Curley about a three-part plan to deal with allegations of Jerry Sanduskys sexual misconduct with young boys. The email came 16 days after former assistant football coach Mike McQueary told Joe Paterno about an incident he witnessed in an on-campus shower area between Sandusky and the person referred to as Victim 2 in the Sandusky case, according to court documents.

Sandusky was found not guilty on one count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse related to the incident involving Victim 2, but was found guilty on four other counts of abuse related to the incident.

Schultz wrote to Curley in the email of a plan to talk with the subjectcontacting thecharitable organization [Second Mile] and contacting the Department of Welfare. The subject in this case referred to Sandusky.

The next night, in an email to Spanier, Curley changed his mind about the course of action that he and Schultz would take, according to the CNN report. Instead of going directly to the authorities, Curley wrote that he would rather talk to Sandusky first, according to the report.

After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe [Paterno] yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps, Curley said in the email, according to CNN. I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved. I would be more comfortable meeting with the persontell him about the information we received[and] tell him we are aware of the first situation.

The first situation refers to a separate shower incident in 1998 involving Sandusky and a boy, who is referred to as Victim 6 in the Sandusky case.

Curley wrote that he planned to tell Sandusky that we feel there is a problem and offer professional help and at some point soon inform his organization [Second Mile,] and maybe the other one, according to the report.

According to the report, a source with knowledge of the emails said that the other organization hes referring to is child welfare.

If Sandusky is cooperative, Curley wrote, according to the report, we would work with himif not, we do not have a choice and will inform the two groups.

CNN reported that two hours later, Spanier responded and agreed with Curleys plan of action.

I am supportive, he wrote in an email, according to the report. The only downside for us is if the message isnt heard and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road.

Spanier also called the plan humane and a reasonable way to proceed, according to the report.

A day later, Schultz wrote an email to Spanier and Curley about his thoughts on the plan, according to the report.

This is a more humane and upfront way to handle this, he said in the email cited in the report. We will inform his organization, with or without his cooperationWe can play it by ear to decide about the other organization.

Although the men discuss plans to report to outside authorities, authorities said that no one ever reported suspected misconduct involving Sandusky to any outside agency, according to the report.

A spokesman for Paternos family told CNN that neither he nor Paternos family has seen any emails, and claims that Paterno never communicated by email. He said that Paterno testified truthfully to the grand jury in January 2011.

Penn State is currently facing several separate investigations by different parties. In addition to former FBI Director Louis Freehs investigation, the U.S. Department of Education, the NCAA and United States Attorney, Middle District of Pennsylvania have launched their own investigations into Penn States actions.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.