Dileo indictment, conviction spurs changes at USF Health

A Tampa Bay Times article Sunday revealed a change in USF Health policies last year that was created after a former employee, Dr. Gerard Dileo, was indicted on federal criminal charges in Sept. 2010.

Dileo, an obstetrician/gynecologist who was employed by USF from 2006 to Feb. 2011, was prohibited from practicing pain management in Louisiana, where he previously worked, by the states medical board in 2008, according to a disciplinary agreement signed by Dileo and the president of the medical board, the article said.

He was charged with not fully investigating pain complaints of patients he worked with, but prescribing narcotic therapy regardless, while employed by Global Pain Management in Louisiana between 2004 and January 2007. According to the article, clinic notes and prescriptions were created for patients two weeks prior to seeing them.

However, Dileo never informed USF about the agreement.

In 2009, when both Florida and California medical boards disciplined Dileo for his Louisiana violations, USF was again kept in the dark. The Florida State Health Department fined him $5,000 and placed him on probation for one year, The Times reported.

Last month, Dileo lost his medical license after he was convicted by federal prosecutors of prescription drug and money-laundering charges, which included illegal dispensing of oxycodone and hydrocodone. USF was first alerted when the news of the indictment came about in late 2010.

University spokesman Michael Hoad said in an email to The Oracle that it took too long for lines of communication to open.

It took too long for us to know exactly what was happening with Dr. Dileos legal issues, Hoad said. What we want to do is make sure we know sooner.

Dileo was let go by USF five months after his indictment. By April 2011, USF Health had updated its policy for ensuring employee conduct.

The new USF Health Professional Conduct Policy states that faculty members are expected to use collegial and professional behavior when performing assigned duties of teaching, research, clinical, or patient care activities at whatever location such duties are performed.

A faculty member who is unable to conduct him or herself in a professional manner or who appears for work in a condition that will not allow them to perform their duties in a safe manner will be considered in breach of this Policy and actions may be taken in accordance with this and any other applicable University Policy, the policy states.

Staff Report