Nevins nabs fifth Big East Pitcher of the Week award

With three no-hitters and 19 wins just two months into the season, the nation has taken further notice of Sara Nevins season resume.

The sophomore lefty picked up her fourth consecutive Big East Pitcher of the Week award Monday on the strength of yet another strong week of pitching, carrying the Bulls to three of their four wins last week.

Eight weeks into the season, Nevins has won five of the eight Pitcher of the Week awards the Big East has handed out. She was also named the Division I National Player of the Week for the week of March 5-11 when she pitched back-to-back no-hitters, including a perfect game against Toledo on March 11.

Shes getting hitters to do things theyre not comfortable with and that translates into success, coach Ken Eriksen said.

Limited pitching depth has increased the pressure on Nevins and true freshman pitcher Sam Greiner, who have combined to pitch 220 innings this season.

Nevins leads the Big East in earned run average, innings pitched, strikeouts, wins and appearances. Her .56 ERA is also good for tops in the nation, and she is ninth in the nation in strikeouts, with 185, while walking just 27 batters.

She understands that we cant catch the walks and shes not throwing them, Eriksen said. When shes ahead in the count shes pretty dominant.

Along with individual recognition, the Bulls have continued to gain national recognition as a team. USF has defeated 16th-ranked Michigan, 21st-ranked Florida State and fourth-ranked Florida this season, enough to earn them a ranking of 21st overall.

Recognizable teams have unrecognizable players, Eriksen said. Were doing a good job putting Ws on the board. You could have a pitcher like Nevins, but if your team is 0-15 you wont get any attention. Its about winning.

Spring games approaching

With spring practices in full swing, the USF football team will see a new face return to his previous position in the upcoming spring scrimmages.

Wide receiver Lindsay Lamar has moved back to his original position of running back to help bolster a position that lost Darrel Scott, who led the team with 814 rushing yards last season.

The senior will show off his new position to USF fans at two spring scrimmages held April 14 and April 21. The first scrimmage will be held on campus at the Corbett Soccer Stadium, while the second will be at Raymond James Stadium.