New Blue Man Group show captivates with sensory overload

Universal Studio’s Blue Man Group, which already offers a unique show, is being taken to new heights in a captivating new level of entertainment. The show, which opens Friday, brings a new environment of music, technology and experiences.

“The heart of (the) show is and always has been the Blue Man, and his inquisitive, wide-eyed, take on the world,” said Chris Wink, who co-founded Blue Man Group with Phil Stanton and Matt Goldman. “Our team of artists at Blue Man Productions has created fun, even astounding new visual aspects of the show and our music team has given us a great new sound. We are really excited to incorporate these elements into the show at Universal Orlando Resort.”

Though several of the signature Blue Man Group scenes are still part of their act, and a large part of their theatrical production, many of the acts have been updated to reflect today’s technology.

The production fuses theatrics with improvisation and vaudeville-inspired comedy, which is the very essence of what drew people to the Blue Man experience in the first place.

“Many of our audience’s favorite pieces, including ‘Paint Drumming’ and ‘Gum Balls, Marshmallows,’ will continue to be a part of the production – and yes, the first few rows will still need to wear ponchos,” Stanton said. “But we have developed some brand new elements of the show that provide a larger-than-life, rousing, interactive experience that I hope will really speak to all cultures and give some of our most devoted fans a new reason to check us out again.”

New sections include Blue Men interacting with “Gi-Pads” – gigantic iPads – a funny and perceptive look at contemporary modes of communication, and a pulsating new finale with a new original Blue Man score.

For more information about the Blue Man Group at Universal Resort, or to purchase tickets, visit universalorlando.com.

Tickets are also available on the day of the show for USF students on an availability basisonly at the box office for $34 each. There is a maximum of two per show.