The Buried Life stars to speak on campus

The cast of MTV’s “The Buried Life” will visit the Marshall Student Center (MSC) tonight for a lecture that will encourage students to ask themselves: “What do you want to do before you die?”

Duncan Penn, Jonnie Penn, Ben Nemtin and David Lingman, the “boys” from “The Buried Life,” will speak at 7 in the MSC Ballroom for the University Lecture Series (ULS) about achieving life goals.

The show follows the four friends, who are on a mission to complete a list of 100 things to do before they die, and encourages others to do the same. In one episode, the cast tries to play a basketball game with President Barack Obama and eventually, succeeds off-camera. Brent Grunig, a graduate adviser for the Center for Student Involvement, who works with the ULS board, said in an email to The Oracle that the show is on a year-long campus tour co-sponsored by Verizon Wireless to work on their bucket list and engage students that want to do the same.

“Not only do the guys try to check something off their list, they work with others to help them complete their wish,” he said.

Though MTV cancelled the show in October, Grunig said new rumors have surfaced that it has been renewed for a third season. Nemtin told Us Weekly in November that the show was not cancelled but would return “new and improved.”

“The Buried Life” lecture cost $18,500 in Activity & Service fees, which includes spending fees, travel and accommodation, said Spencer Southard, director of marketing for ULS.

To promote the lecture, ULS displayed boards in the MSC Atrium last week, on which

students could write their death-preceding life goals.

Students who haven’t written on the boards will have an opportunity to do so between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. today, according to the ULS Facebook page. The boards will be on display on stage behind “The Buried Life” cast during the lecture, Southard said.

Southard said he thinks the lecture could be one of ULS’s most interactive events this year.

“This should be one of the most engaging and energetic lectures of the year. and we are excited by the positive response thus far the USF community has given to us,” he said. “We think that ‘The Buried Life’ will be a lecture students are interested in because they have a fun message that students can really get involved in the lecture.”