Three Bulls selected in MLS SuperDraft

All three draft-eligible playersfrom the USF men’s soccer team were selected Thursday in the 2012 Major League Soccer SuperDraft- a landmark day for the program. Only Creighton and Louisville produced more draftees in the 38-pick process.

The Bulls’ highest-ratedprospect, forward Dom Dwyer, went 16th overall to Sporting Kansas City. Defender Aubrey Perry and goalkeeper ChrisBlaiswent to the ColumbusCrew (26th overall pick) and San Jose Earthquakes (33rd overall pick), respectively.

Dwyer’s selection was the highlight of the draft, which was held in Kansas City andattended by hundreds ofmembers of the team’s fan group, The Cauldron. The home fans adopted Dwyer quickly, with loud ovations for their new forward. Themorning of the draft, Dwyerhad 300 followers on his Twitteraccount (@Ddwyer14). Bynightfall, that number hadballooned to more 1,000 and,as of Monday night, sitsat 1,475.

“To come to a home crowd here is pretty unbelievable,”Dwyer said after his selection. “I’m very happy and I’m excited to justgetgoing.”

In Kansas City, Dwyer will likely play a wide positionin coach PeterVermes’4-3-3 system, along withU.S. national team strikersTealBunburyand C.J.Sapong.

In Columbus, Perry will be reunited with former USFstandout midfielder BernardoAnor, who was drafted by the Crew in 2011. Columbus’first-round pick was used on Ethan Finlay, whose overtime goal for Creighton knocked the Bulls out of the NCAATournament in December.

Blaiswas the secondgoalkeeper drafted and joins an Earthquakes team that already has a pair of young goalkeepers.

Defensive coordinator search

Speaking last Thursday,USF football coach SkipHoltzsaid he hopes to have hired a new defensive coordinator bytoday, but wouldn’t comment publicly on potential candidates.

However, according to the Tampa Bay Times, Kansas State’s ChrisCoshspent the weekend in Tampa to interview for the job. The position was vacatedby the departure of Mark Snyder to Texas A&M last week.

“I know this is something Mark was excited about,”Holtzsaid. “It was a decision that he made andwe wish him nothing but the best. Everything here has spliton very positive terms.”

Holtzsaid the position has attracted strong interest from coaches nationwide.

“I have reached out to talk to a couple people and I’mhopeful I can have this doneby the early part of next week,” he said. “I don’t want this to be something that we string out all the way through recruiting … There have been an awful lot of people that have contacted us, and the people that I have had an opportunity to talk to at this point are really open-minded and really excited.”

Other rumored candidates include Florida State linebackers coach Greg Hudson and former Nebraskadefensive coordinator KevinCosgrove.

Women’s tennis wins two

The USF women’s tennisteam opened its spring slatethis weekend with winsover Syracuse and Ohio Stateat the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.

The Bulls won the doubles point in both matches and dominated singles, winning5-2 against Syracuse andbeating the Buckeyes 6-1.

USF has three singles players- No. 1EcaterinaVasenina,No. 2 Loreto Alonso Martinezand No. 6 Lucie Rey -undefeated after the opening weekend.

The Bulls will now hit theroad for a long stretch ofmatches before returning home to host Florida GulfCoast on Feb. 26.