Griffin out at least a couple of weeks with ankle injury

USF redshirt sophomore wide receiver Sterling Griffin looks set for an extended spell on the sidelines following an ankle injury sustained in the third quarter against Cincinnati on Saturday.

Griffin fell awkwardly near the corner of the south end zone and remained on the ground for a few seconds before popping up and hopping on his left leg toward the USF sideline. He then fell back on the ground to receive treatment from the USF medical staff. He left the field unassisted, with a noticeable limp and a rigid right leg.

Griffin underwent X-ray testing Monday morning with a diagnosed sprained right ankle, which will keep him out for at least one game and possibly more. Further testing is still to come, as doctors attempt to clarify whether there’s a broken bone in the ankle.

“He went for some more extensive X-rays,” coach Skip Holtz said. “He definitely has an ankle sprain. One of their concerns is about, maybe, a break in the bone. I would say in a best-case scenario that he would be out a couple weeks and the worst-case scenario that there would be a break and he would probably be out the rest of the year. But, with his ankle, he’s very doubtful for the upcoming game.”

This isn’t the first time Griffin has injured his right ankle since arriving at USF. On June 28, 2010, Griffin injured the joint in a voluntary offseason workout, dislocating his ankle and breaking a bone at the bottom of his fibula. Though he was capable of playing toward the end of last season, he never appeared and used a medical redshirt season.

Facing the prospect of being without Griffin for an extended period, Holtz said it will be a challenge for his already young receiving corps.

“It’s going to be hard,” Holtz said. “We talked about (going) into that game Saturday with Sterling Griffin as a sophomore as the experienced guy. He’s the most experienced guy. We had a redshirt freshman and two freshmen that were playing. Then, to lose a sophomore like that would be a blow.

“I would absolutely hate it for Sterling, for everything that he’s been through with the ankle a year ago where he missed the entire season,” Holtz said. “He’s just come back so strong and he’s such a great young man and he’s worked so hard to be here … and he’s such a huge impact on this team this season and it would be difficult to lose him. It definitely looks like that’s going to be the case, at least for a couple of weeks.”