Daniels, Griffiths, El Houssine earn Big East recognition

B.J. Daniels received a present from the Big East on his 22nd birthday Monday.

After setting a USF record for passing yards in a single game with 409 against Cincinnati on Saturday, the redshirt junior quarterback was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll. Daniels threw for three touchdowns in the game and also set a personal record with 48 pass attempts, 31 of which were completed.

With USF trailing Cincinnati 30-27 with 3:37 remaining in the game, Daniels led the Bulls on a touchdown drive. He went 5-for-5 as the Bulls marched 83 yards in six plays to regain the lead with 1:27 remaining.

Griffiths named

USF men’s soccer defender Brenton Griffiths was named the Big East Defender of the Week on Monday and was also given a spot on the College Soccer News National Team of the Week.

Griffiths and the Bulls extended their win streak to six games, following wins over No. 10 Louisville and Villanova last week.

The Spanish Towne, Jamaica, native scored the game-winning goal in the 72nd minute against Villanova, Griffiths’ second goal of the season.

El Houssine awarded

True freshman outside hitter Valerie El Houssine earned a spot on the Big East Weekly Honor Roll on Monday after recording 28 total kills in a win over DePaul and a loss to Notre Dame over the weekend.

Originally from Eghezee, Belgium, El Houssine leads the Bulls in kills this season with 263.

She has also earned the Big East Freshman of the Week award once this season.

Eriksen wins gold

USF softball coach Ken Eriksen, who also serves as head coach for the USA national team, added another tournament win to his collection Sunday.

Eriksen led the U.S. to an 11-1 win over Canada in the gold medal game of the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico.

He also led the U.S. to a win in the 2011 World Cup of Softball in Oklahoma City in July.