Bulls lose third straight set

USF fought through yet another tough weekend as the women’s soccer team lost their third straight game this season in Big East play.

Though their series of overtime matches was put to a halt this week, defense still played a vital role for both teams. The Bulls (5-6-4) were part of two scoreless first halves in their final two home matches of the season, yet suffered to a pair of last-minute goals this past weekend.

The week started Friday night against Connecticut, with the Huskies (6-5-2) racking up their second straight Big East win at the USF Soccer Stadium. Though the Bulls managed to hold the Huskies’ attack for the majority of the match, it didn’t stop UConn from nailing a goal in the final 11 minutes to put them up 1-0 over the Bulls.

Sophomore midfielder Devin Prendergast made the goal, assisted by fellow sophomore Jennifer Skogerboe. Without Bulls’ leading scorer Demi Stokes, out due to an injury early in the match, USF fell to the Huskies, which gave them the slight edge in the conference.

It was Senior Day on Sunday when Providence (5-7-4) faced off with the Bulls in the last home match of USF’s season. The fans were on their feet, despite the downpour of rain, showing respect for the 11 seniors featured on this Bulls’ team.

“This is supposed to be a celebration of the (people) they are, the future they have and what they contributed to this University.” coach Denise Schilte-Brown said.

USF, yet again, held the opposing attack for another scoreless half. Despite the tremendous effort put forth through the rain by the Bulls, Friars’ sophomore midfielder Melina Toman hit a goal off of a free kick taken by senior Emily Castle with 32 seconds left in regulation to seal a 1-0 victory in a match that included 22 fouls between the two teams, USF with 13 to Providence’s nine.

Schilte-Brown, though upset with the loss, said she still felt pride in her players, especially the seniors who were honored before the match.

“These girls mean a lot to us,” Schilte-Brown said. “They came out and fought hard today.”

Through horrid weather and an abundance of overtime play, the Bulls’ season at home included both its ups and downs. However, the Bulls hope to finish their season strong in the Big East, heading out on the road for three straight matches.

Their journey will begin this Friday at 7 p.m. where USF will take on Syracuse in an attempt to bounce back from this past week’s performance.