Retribution should be Fast and Furious

If any scandal can finally shake the suffocating, imperial grip the White House holds on our nation’s dying hope for peace and prosperity, it must be Operation Fast and Furious. Although heavyweights in the mainstream media continue to sideline the issue, the secret gun-running scheme, which put more than 2,000 weapons into the hands of Mexican drug cartels, makes Watergate look like petty theft.

Operation Fast and Furious began in 2009 with a plan by myriad federal law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, to purposefully allow guns to be sold to known criminals so the weapons could be tracked as they reached high-level cartel members.

The program came to a sudden halt earlier this year when it was revealed in a congressional report that the death of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, who was murdered with some of the same guns the ATF allowed to walk across the border, was “likely a preventable tragedy,” according to USA Today.

In a FOX News report, guns from Fast and Furious were said to have been linked to at least 11 other violent crimes in the U.S. alone. In a separate report, FOX News said two AK-47s “used in the high-profile kidnapping and murder of a Mexican lawyer” were purchased under the operation.

Congressional testimonies by ATF agents contradict claims made by President Barack Obama that neither he nor the DOJ knew of the controversial operation.

Federal agencies that are supposed to be tasked with keeping America safe got caught willingly supplying weapons to vicious drug cartels south of our border; the public should be aware and angry. The DOJ admits 1,048 guns are still on the loose with no way to track them down, according to the Washington Times. Was the operation really designed to bring down the cartels in the first place, or is there something larger at play here?

In a recent column in the Washington Times, Robert Farago suggested the operation was an opportunity for the CIA to help arm the Sinaloa cartel, which has close ties to the Mexican military and President Felipe Caldern. Farago accused the Obama administration of “fueling brutality and carnage” by choosing sides in a turf war between the rival Sinaloa and Zetas cartels.

And don’t forget that these drug cartels are aided by the same megabanks that hold Obama’s administration deep in their pockets. Bloomberg reported last year that Bank of America, Wachovia and Wells Fargo helped launder funds for Mexico’s drug smugglers.

Whatever the truth is surrounding these gunrunning operations and the resulting violence both north and south of the border, it must be brought to light. Thorough investigations and prosecutions are necessary to find justice for the American and Mexican public, as well as for the families of the many victims killed by guns that U.S. law enforcement let walk.

Austin Castle is a student at the University of Central Florida