Volleyball schedule finalized

Coach Claire Lessinger and the USF volleyball team will begin their 2011 season with a long trip to New Mexico, USF announced last week.

The Bulls will play 28 games over the course of the regular season, including a 13-game home schedule.

Along with the University of New Mexico, USF will also see New Mexico State at the New Mexico Invite before returning home to host the USF Volleyball Invitational the second weekend of the season. Eastern Kentucky, Maryland Eastern Shore, Bowling Green and Bethune-Cookman will compete in the Invitational.

The team will make stops in Orlando for the UCF Invitational and Madison, Wis., for the Wisconsin InnTower Challenge before beginning Big East play.

Should USF qualify for its sixth consecutive Big East Tournament, a return trip to Wisconsin will await as Marquette hosts this year’s edition in Milwaukee from Nov.18-20.

“We are excited about the 2011 schedule,” Lessinger told gousfbulls.com. “As always, we are looking to challenge ourselves outside of our conference season with good RPI teams. Getting the opportunity to play at New Mexico and Wisconsin will be an awesome experience for this squad, and our home schedule is equally as exciting as we always look forward to our home environment.”

Big East opponents Rutgers, Seton Hall, Connecticut, St. John’s, Louisville, Cincinnati, Villanova and Georgetown will all have to visit USF during the upcoming season.