Sweep over Georgetown extends win streak to 10

Carried by the pitching staff, the USF softball team extended its winning streak to 10 games for the first time since 2008 by sweeping Georgetown.

USF allowed only one run all weekend, winning 1-0 and 4-0 Saturday, and earning an 8-1 win Sunday.

“In streaks, you’ve got to have some good bounces and some good luck,” coach Ken Eriksen said. “We can’t worry about who we are record-wise. We’re hopefully going to get the pats on the back when we’re sitting in front of the TV on Selection Sunday. We have to continue to get better.”

During this 10-game win streak, USF (27-15, 7-0) solidified its starting pitcher rotation as both freshman Sara Nevins and sophomore Lindsey Richardson earned their 10th win of the season.

“I think both of them have earned the starting positions in the game,” Eriksen said. “Our defense and pitching have to continue to do what they’re doing. They have to keep us in ball games so we can score.”

Nevins continues to dominate the circle with an appearance in all three games this weekend, including another near no-hitter. She has now missed out on two no-hit opportunities with only two outs remaining in back-to-back weekends.

Nevins tied the record for saves in a season at seven and is now only eight strikeouts short of reaching the top 10 in the USF record books for strikeouts in a season.

Richardson had a season-high with strikeouts in game one. In her two victories this weekend she struck out 13 batters in 11 innings while yielding only five hits. Richardson has not given up more than a run in each of her last seven appearances.

The series began with USF surviving a 1-0 pitchers’ duel. After two Hoyas’ errors helped the Bulls get into scoring position, Laura Fountain hit a sacrifice fly to score the only run in the fourth inning.

Georgetown (9-31, 3-5) gave the Bulls a scare in the seventh inning with a runner on third and one out, before Nevins pitched out of the jam.

The Bulls won 4-0 in game two of the doubleheader with Nevins’ second complete-game shutout of the year. USF broke the game open in the third inning with a two-run double by third baseman Kourtney Salvarola and a sacrifice fly by Stephanie Medina.

Georgetown scored its only run of the series in the top of the first inning of Sunday’s finale. USF countered by scoring two runs in the bottom of the inning to take the lead for the rest of the game. A team effort of 13 hits sealed the series sweep with an 8-1 win.

USF heads north for a Big East doubleheader against Rutgers on Thursday before facing Seton Hall in a weekend series.