USF begins preparations for final spring scrimmage

With the Spring Game out of the way, USF can now look ahead to its final scrimmage of the semester – the Green and Gold Bowl. The game, which will be included in Saturday’s USF Day festivities, will be played in the USF Soccer Stadium at 5 p.m.

“We’re really excited about this weekend,” coach Skip Holtz said. “(There are) a lot of things going on on campus that day, so we encourage a lot of people to turn and come out. We wanted to bring something on campus and bring it a little closer to the student body and I think this will be an incredible atmosphere playing the game here in the Soccer Stadium. For those football enthusiasts who want to come out to watch a little football, it ought to be a great day to do it.”

The team ran 148 full-contact plays Saturday, so during practice Monday the team wore only shoulder pads and shorts instead of full uniforms and participated in a practice that was less physically demanding than usual.

“Kind of a light workout today in shorts and shoulder pads … We came out today just to try and polish some things up,” Holtz said. “We made sure we got some good fundamental work with the shoulder pads on. It wasn’t a physical day, but it was a taxing mental day, especially with everything they’ve been through (this spring).”

Injury update

Sophomore quarterback Bobby Eveld, who was forced to leave Saturday’s scrimmage with a jaw injury, was back and participating during Monday’s practice. Eveld was hit on the very first play of the Spring Game on Saturday, but returned for a few snaps before leaving the game for good. Initially, Holtz feared the possibility of a broken jaw, but received positive news that Eveld just sustained bruising with no damage.

“Eveld should be OK. He’s got a bruised jaw, more or less, it’s going to be sore for a while but he’ll be OK,” Holtz said.

Running back Darrell Scott, the only other player who left Saturday’s scrimmage, did not participate in practice Monday. The former No. 1-rated running back prospect and transfer from Colorado sustained a muscle injury in his leg. The extent of the injury is still unknown.

“With Darrell Scott, we don’t really know,” Holtz said. “It’s a muscle, we’re just going to have to see how that’s going to turn and respond this week with a lot of treatment to see if he’s going to be able to go Saturday. I expect he’ll be fine. At this point, knock on wood, we’re doing pretty well from an injury standpoint outside of the ones that we knew coming in.”

Defensive ends maturing

In recent years, USF has produced a number of players with NFL talent. George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul were both drafted in the 2010 NFL Draft, while former Bulls Craig Marshall and David Bedford hope to be drafted this year.

Though they’re currently projected as starters for the upcoming season, redshirt sophomore Ryne Giddins and fifth-year senior Patrick Hampton still have a lot of work to do to earn their spots as starters and leaders, according to special teams coordinator and defensive ends coach Vernon Hargreaves.

“I think (Giddins) has certainly stepped his game up,” Hargreaves said. “He knows he’s got a chance to win the (starting) job and he’s starting to perform that way. If he keeps working the way he is, then he’ll have it.”

Despite being an experienced senior, Hampton is still earning the respect of being a leader.

“You sort of earn the leadership role really truly, I think,” Hargreaves said. “Just because you end up being a senior doesn’t mean you’re automatically a leader because really truly, not everybody has it. I’m hoping he’ll take those reins and be that guy.”

Prepping for the draft

Two former Bulls had the NFL’s attention Monday.

Wide receiver Dontavia Bogan was in Seattle for a private workout with the Seahawks. Bogan will also workout for the Houston Texans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers before the NFL Draft begins April 28.

“Pete Carroll one cool coach and (Qwest) field is beautiful,” Bogan posted on his Twitter.

Bogan led the team a year ago with 685 receiving yards and six touchdowns.

Former tight end Kevin Gidrey was invited Monday to workout for the Buccaneers sometime next week, according to his Twitter.

Gidrey started 11 games at tight end his senior season last year, catching eight passes for a total of 95 yards.