Poor field conditions shorten softball series

The USF softball team was scheduled to open its Big East season with a three-game set against St. John’s this weekend, but poor field conditions in New York forced the cancellation of two games.

The Bulls were scheduled to play a doubleheader Saturday, but both games were cancelled after the field was deemed unplayable. The doubleheader was then moved to Sunday, with the third game to be played at a later date.

In the end, the teams only managed to play one game Sunday, which USF won 10-2 in five innings.

“We did what we needed to do today,” coach Ken Eriksen said. “We didn’t let the distractions and (weather) elements get to us today and took advantage of the other team’s ineptitudes on defense and pitching. (When) we get that type of performance out of our girls we can make some noise in the Big East.”

USF (19-15, 1-0) was on the board early, scoring two runs in the top of the first inning, and never letting up.

Lindsey Richardson got the start, struck out four batters and surrendered only two walks en route to earning her sixth victory of the season. She didn’t surrender a hit until the fourth inning.

“Her first four innings were phenomenal,” Eriksen said. “Lindsey did a great job.”

After a quiet second inning, the Bulls lit up the scoreboard, scoring six runs in the third inning by managing to bat around without recording a single hit.

St. John’s scored its first run in the bottom of the fourth on a triple that caromed off the right-field wall.

The Bulls scored two more in the fifth to extend its lead to 10-1.

St. John’s scored one more run in the bottom half of the inning, but it was not enough to avoid the game being shortened by the run-rule. Capri Catalano and Sara Nevins combined to close out the last inning with two strikeouts.

There is no set date for when the two postponed games will be rescheduled.

The Bulls hit the road again for a Wednesday game in Gainesville against No. 2 Florida. The Gators have beaten USF twice already this season.