The Foo Fighters upcoming album goes back to the basics

Longtime rock group the Foo Fighters gave a Valentine to fans Monday when they revealed the title and track listing for their seventh album, “Wasting Light.”

While the full album will not be released until April 12, the lead single “Rope,” will be available online March 1.

“Wasting Light” represents a return to simplicity for the band, led by former Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl. The album was recorded entirely on analog tape without computers or software in Grohl’s garage, according to Rolling Stone.

“I literally backed the minivan out of the garage, pulled the lawnmower out, put a drum set in it and set up mics,” Grohl said in an interview with Q Magazine.

In January, SPIN named “Wasting Light,” which at the time was untitled, one of the 30 Must-Hear Albums of 2011.

“Expect a needle-in-the-red rock’n’roll revival for the Foo Fighters’ first disc in five years,” SPIN writers William Goodman and Kevin O’Donnell said.

“Wasting Light” was produced by Butch Vig and mixed by Alan Moulder. The duo has had an impressive career producing the work of such bands as Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins, the Cure, Nine Inch Nails and the Killers.

The album also marks the second collaboration between producer Vig and lead singer Grohl, who worked together on Nirvana’s “Nevermind.”

“This whole project has been really cool because I haven’t made a record with Butch in 20 years,” Grohl said in an interview with BBC Radio 1.

To coincide with the announcement, the Foo Fighters released a music video on their website for one of the album’s tracks, “White Limo.”

The video was shot entirely on VHS to mimic the cheesy style of a 1980’s rock video, no doubt another hint at the band’s back-to-the-basics approach for “Wasting Light.” The video even stars Lemmy Kilmister from Motorhead, a throwback to late-’70s and early-’80s heavy metal group.

According to Billboard.com, the Foo Fighters have released 30-second clips of two songs from their new album in the past month. But “White Limo” may prove that the band’s choice of a bare-bones production process will create even more of the grungy, garage-band sound familiar to those fond of Grohl’s early days in Nirvana.

While a certain post-grunge roughness has always been an integral part of the Foo Fighters’ sound, that element certainly seems more pervasive in “Wasting Light.”

The main guitar riff from “White Limo” sounds reminiscent of an ’80s thrash metal track, and Grohl’s screeching vocals during the verses complete the song’s sharp delivery. But Grohl’s trademark alt-rock croon returns for the chorus, reminding listeners that “White Limo” is in fact a Foo Fighters track and not something from a Megadeth greatest hits album.

“It makes you want to break into someone’s car and steal their stereo,” Grohl told Q Magazine about the track.

To see the complete track list for “Wasting Light” and watch the music video for “White Limo,” visit foofighters.com/us/news.