Up-and-coming actor is setting up for a career touchdown.

Spike TV’s comedy “Blue Mountain State” begins with an opening credits sequence that acts more like a disclaimer than an advertisement. It depicts beer-swigging frat guys, scantily clad women and loud rock music over images of brutal football games. You will know right away if you are going to stick around for another thirty minutes.

“Blue Mountain State,” now in its second season, is actor Darin Brooks’ second major television series after five years on the long-running daytime soap opera, “Days of our Lives.”

Brooks, who plays “State’s” promiscuous Alex Moran, was more than happy to be a part of all the madness the series has to offer, especially after spending so much time as the deeply troubled Max Brady on “Days of our Lives.”

“I was looking to kind of move on from the soap. It was a great first job, a first family for me,” Brooks said. “But to be honest, I was a little anxious to get out of it.”

As a 26-year-old actor with a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Young Actor and ambitions of making an impact on Hollywood, Brooks was not thrilled by the roles he was initially offered after leaving “Days.”

“I had a meeting with my managers, and I told them, ‘Hey, all they’re sending me are roles to play 18-year-olds in Miley Cyrus movies. I need something different. I want to try some comedies,'” he said.

Though Brooks said he has a fondness for those he left behind on “Days of our Lives,” the move to “Blue Mountain State” – which he said “fell right in my lap” – allowed him to work with experienced talent, such as veteran actress Cloris Leachman.

“Cloris has been around this business for a long time,” he said. “She’s won a Tony, an Emmy and an Oscar. She’s the triple threat, and I learned so much from her.”

“Blue Mountain State” stands tall as one of Spike’s more successful shows, mostly because the blend of “Varsity Blues” and “American Pie” fits perfectly into the network’s sensibilities. The exposure of being the leading man has also allowed Brooks to take the leap into producing and acting in films, he said.

“I have a horror script I’m trying to produce, it’s called ‘Unnatural,’ and some friends of mine have come into a movie fund with some investors,” he said. “As soon as the paperwork is done and all the financing is put into an account, we can start casting and get this movie out there.”

While Brooks has high ambitions for his professional career, he said he views his future prospects with a refreshing sense of realism.

“Sometimes you have to make things happen in this town. You can get close to as many parts as you want, then they go with the ‘90210′ guy or the ‘Twilight’ guy,” he said. “Of course I haven’t been in a movie that’s made $300 million, but give me a chance and let’s see what we can do.”

Brooks said the movie industry is becoming pickier about what films go into production, as well as who is cast in them, because of America’s recent recession.

Nonetheless, he said those wishing to make their way into the movie industry should not abandon their dreams.

“It’s the long standing, ‘If you really want to do this, do it,'” he said. “You can’t let things get in your way. You can’t let things deter you. You can’t have people tell you no. I mean, everybody in (Hollywood) has been told ‘no’ 200 times in a month.”

As the ratings for “Blue Mountain State” can attest, as well as a pending movie deal, Brooks is someone whose actions mimic his words.

The first season of “Blue Mountain State” is out now on BluRay/DVD.