iUSF application expandsto Android, Blackberry users

In an effort to expand the iUSF smart phone application, USF Information Technology (IT) released an updated version of the program last week that is also compatible with Android and Blackberry phones.

The original application, which provided users with access to Blackboard course information, news stories, events, maps and Bull Runner tracking, was released for iPhones in July.

After its initial release, Julia Payne, IT’s Web Services manager, said many students lodged complaints about the exclusive availability of the application through IT’s Facebook page.

“We’ve been working the last couple of months to make it available on (other phones),” she said. “A lot of people are happy to see it on Android.”

The new release has also attempted to increase functionality, she said, and mirrors some of the features found on the new MyUSF portal, which was released Oct. 22.

“We are working to sync up the features, on keeping them moving at the same speed,” Payne said. “We want to let people manage class assignments and make it a useful tool.”

The update provides access to a personalized student schedule and Bull Bucks balance, as well as an enhanced campus-mapping feature to help students navigate the University.

Since last week’s re-release, about 200 Blackberry users and 300 Android users have downloaded the application. Since the original July release, about 4,400 Apple iPhone users have downloaded the program, with some 2,700 of those having updated to the newest version, Payne said.