Pope denounces terrorist ideas that spur violence

VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI denounced “terrorist ideologies” that spur violence in God’s name as he opened a meeting Monday of bishops from around the Middle East.

Benedict said such ideologies were based on false gods and should be “unmasked.”

The pontiff made the off-the-cuff remarks at the opening working session of the meeting, or synod, which was called to address problems the minority Catholic Church faces in the largely Muslim region.

The meeting has drawn 185 participants, including nine patriarchs of the Mideast’s ancient Christian churches and representatives from 13 other Christian communities. A rabbi and two Muslim clerics will attend the meeting as well.

On Monday, attention focused on the decision by Israel to require new citizens to pledge a loyalty oath to a “Jewish and democratic” state — a bill criticized by Arab Israelis as racist and a provocation.

The Coptic Catholic patriarch of Alexandria, Egypt, Antonios Naguib, who is running the synod, called the decision a “flagrant contradiction” since Israel likes to call itself not just the most democratic but the only democratic state in the region.

“You cannot announce, publish and affirm to be a democratic state and a civil democracy then at the same time say ‘in our democracy we require such things,'” Naguib told reporters. “I see it is a flagrant contradiction.”

“In the logic of classic democracies, that doesn’t work.”

Benedict summoned the bishops to Rome to help address a major flight of Christians from their traditional homes because of war, conflict and economic problems. In Iraq alone, Catholics represented 2.89 percent of the population in 1980; by 2008 they were just .89 percent.

An influx of Catholic immigrants, mostly women from Africa and Asia who work in service industries in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, has helped offset their numbers. But it has also created new pastoral issues for the church in countries where freedom of religion is limited.

As it currently stands, Catholics represent just 1.6 percent of the region’s population, according to Vatican statistics. Christians as a whole represent 5.62 percent.

In his remarks to the synod participants, Benedict lamented the forces at play in the world that “enslave” men and threaten the world, citing drugs as well as “terrorist ideologies.”

“They make violence apparently in the name of God, but it’s not God: These are false divinities that must be unmasked. They are not God.”