USF bests previously undefeated Syracuse

USF found its groove after a win in straight sets in its Big East opener on Friday against Marquette.

But the team was just getting started.

On Sunday, the Bulls (6-7) (2-0) snapped Syracuse’s 16-game winning streak in five sets (25-22, 17-25, 25-12, 22-25, 15-6) while putting together its own three-game winning streak.

“We got some big play out of a lot of players today and it’s a huge win to not only snap that winning streak they had going, but it’s a huge win for in conference,” said coach Claire Lessinger.

Freshman middle blocker Andrea Rodriguez Gomez had a spectacular game with 13 kills, 23 attacks and three digs. She said the team is already looking toward its next match against Notre Dame on Friday.

“We’re very excited, but we can’t get too confident,” Rodriguez Gomez said. “We have another match next weekend, and we have to keep focus and prepare for the next one. We’re the underdog in this conference.”

Senior right side hitter Allie Boaz also contributed with 15 kills, 43 attacks and a hitting percentage of .310.

The Bulls began the first set trading points with Syracuse, but USF was able to take advantage of Syracuse’s faulty play and win the set.

After a rough second set, the Bulls came out on fire in the third, hitting the ball with a .522 percentage and collecting 14 kills with 23 attacks. They held Syracuse to a .038 hitting percentage in that set.

“We came out of that turn (set) and played the way we did against Marquette, and that’s the way we got to play every night,” Lessinger said.

Syracuse took the fourth set before the Bulls coasted in the fifth.