Giddins misses second straight practice, status unclear

Redshirt freshman defensive end Ryne Giddins, who is listed as a second-teamer, missed his second straight practice on Wednesday with what coach Skip Holtz said was a blister on his foot.

Giddins’ status for Saturday’s opener is unclear.

“It’s painful for him,” Holtz said. “We just have to see how he responds to antibiotics. It’s more of a weight bearing deal. It’s not an ankle or a long-term ligament or a bone injury.”

Giddins, one of the most highly regarded recruits in program history out of Armwood High School, is expected to play a big role this season. Seniors Craig Marshall and David Bedford are listed as the starters, while juniors Patrick Hampton and Claude Davis and redshirt freshman Julius Forte are all in the mix for playing time.

“I feel pretty good about a guy coming out and the next guy that goes in,” defensive ends coach Vernon Hargreaves said. “Everybody can play as hard as they can possibly play knowing we can put another guy in and we won’t lose very much. That’s the idea.”

Secondary has options

In the spring, the defense was hard pressed to put more than two healthy bodies at cornerback. Now, defensive coordinator Mark Snyder said, they have four cornerbacks – sophomore George Baker, junior Quenton Washington, senior Mistral Raymond and sophomore Kayvon Webster – who could potentially start.

“(Baker) has had a great camp. The question we have with George is ‘when the lights go on, how is he going to react?’ because he hasn’t played a whole bunch,” Snyder said. “Raymond is the crafty veteran. He’s been out there before (and) plays with a lot of confidence. And then the other two are just very, very gifted athletes. It’s hard to come up with four corners.”

If the Bulls go to a nickel formation, Raymond would move from cornerback to nickel back, Synder said, while whoever isn’t in the game among Baker, Washington or Webster would take Raymond’s cornerback spot.

Etc.

Sophomore receiver Victor Marc has been suspended for the first two games of the season for an unspecified violation of team rules, Holtz announced after practice Wednesday … Senior running back Mo Plancher, who has been limited in the last half of fall camp with a shoulder injury, is “good to go” against Stony Brook, Holtz said … As decided by the seniors, the Bulls will wear white pants and white helmets for the opener, Holtz said.