Quick start for Jones

Former USF guard Dominique Jones had a solid NBA debut, logging 19 points on 9-of-12 free throws in the Mavericks’>88-70 loss to the Denver Nuggets>on Friday night as the NBA’s Summer League got under way.

Jones, who was taken 25th in the draft last month by Memphis, but then traded to Dallas, made some rookie>mistakes, however, committing five turnovers in 34 minutes. He was 5-of-13 from the field.

“I made a couple mistakes on easy decisions,” Jones said to the Dallas Morning News. “I had the jitters. When I do something new, I get nervous. But once I get the hang of it, it’s gone.”

“I feel good about what I did, even though I didn’t do close to my best. It’s a learning>process.”

On Saturday, Jones scored 10 points and had four rebounds, three assists and two>turnovers in 33 minutes in Dallas’>87-78 loss to the Houston Rockets. Jones was 2-of-6 from the field and 6-of-10 from the free-throw line.

The Mavericks (0-2) play the Milwaukee Bucks (0-0)>tonight at 8.

Mitchell, Browns agree to deal

Former USF receiver Carlton Mitchell and the Cleveland Browns agreed to a four-year deal worth about $1.9 million late last week, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.

Mitchell, a two-year starter at USF whose 1,648 receiving yards are a school record, was taken in the sixth round (177 overall) by the Browns after forgoing his senior year of college.

Mitchell becomes the third Bull of the 2010 draft class to sign,>joining defensive end George Selvie and cornerback Jerome Murphy, both selected by St. Louis.

Report: Ex-Auburn back to walk-on

Running back Dontae Aycock, who was dismissed from Auburn in May for violating team rules, will enroll at USF this fall and walk-on for the football team, according to the St. Petersburg Times.

Aycock, who starred at Chamberlain High School in Tampa, was rated a four-star recruit and the 165th best player in the nation out of high school by>rivals.com in 2009.

Aycock is required to sit out a year because of NCAA transfer rules, but will have three years of eligibility starting in 2011.