Students have the chance to blog for major magazines

By just sampling new Dove beauty products on campus, students could land on the pages of a major magazine.

Free samples of Dove’s Revive Body Mist will be available in the USF Bookstore starting today, and students can also sign up to blog about their experiences with the product as part of a national contest.

Participants can sign up for the contest now through May 5 at DoveDeodorantCorrespondent.com.

Three people randomly chosen from across the country will get the opportunity to work at one of three magazines – Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan or Seventeen – owned by the publishing company, Hearst.

Those chosen will work with a mentor from each magazine to publish a written or video blog over a four-and-a-half month period this summer, according to the contest Web site.

Winners must also consistently update their Twitter or Facebook statuses about the product.

After the blogging period ends, winners will fly to New York City to participate in a photo shoot for the magazine they wrote for and take part in a week-long discussion with fashion experts and other beauty bloggers.

According to the official rules on marieclaire.com, applicants must be between 18 and 25 years old.

Applicants are also encouraged to already be an “avid user of social media,” which includes maintaining a personal blog, an existing Facebook or Twitter and be familiar with MySpace or the photo publishing Web site, Flickr.com.

Participants are also expected to know how to record and post their own videos and be familiar with Dove products and Hearst Magazines.

Kelli Burns, an assistant professor in the USF School of Mass Communications, said in an e-mail to The Oracle that students who blog about the products should do so honestly and should not be biased because free products were provided.

“Bloggers are required by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) to disclose a relationship with a marketer,” Burns said in the e-mail. “So if a post is written about a product provided to the blogger for free, the blogger needs to reveal that information to readers.”