Louisville hosts No. 3 USF with top division spot on line

USF men’s soccer coach George Kiefer said the Bulls have to play one of their best matches of the year to get out of Louisville with a win.

At 7 tonight, USF (7-1-1, 3-1-1) will attempt to stand atop the Big East division rankings when it meets No. 12 Louisville (6-1-2, 3-1-1) at Cardinal Park Soccer Stadium.

“This should be a really great game between two top-15 schools,” Kiefer said. “To win this match, we will have to make good decisions and play very smart when controlling the ball.”

Nearly halfway through the Big East schedule, USF is tied with Louisville for first place in the Big East’s red division, with both teams coming off victories.

The Cardinals are outscoring their opponents 23-7 and have not allowed a first-half goal this season. USF has not allowed any first-half goals this year either.

“Louisville is a very good Big East team,” Kiefer said. “They will pose a great challenge for us and I think it will be a close and competitive match.”

Louisville is a very balanced team, Kiefer said. The Cardinals have three players with at least four goals, while the Bulls have only one player with multiple goals: midfielder Bernardo Anor.

“(Louisville) has quality players at every position,” Kiefer said. “They are very well-coached and are comfortable sending a lot of offensive pressure on their opponents.”