Bulls get win against conference nemesis

In recent years, West Virginia gave the USF women’s soccer team all sorts of trouble. The Mountaineers beat the Bulls 2-0 in each of three meetings in the last three seasons.

However, USF was the better team Sunday.

USF (4-4-2, 2-1-1) got goals from freshman Alexandra Eagle sophomore Noelle Pineiro, and the Bulls beat the Mountaineers (4-3-4, 1-1-1) 2-1 at the USF Soccer Stadium, the team’s first victory against West Virginia.

“This is the first year that I felt we were the better team, so that was a really good feeling,” Schilte-Brown said. “I would have liked to see us finish some more of those opportunities that we created.”

Eagle put the Bulls up 1-0 just four minutes into the game after she squeaked the ball past West Virginia’s goalkeeper.

“I usually don’t score because I play defense, so I didn’t know how to react,” Eagle said.

In the 78th minute, sophomore Chelsea Klotz found Pineiro, who scored her sixth goal of the season to put the Bulls comfortably ahead 2-0. WVU added a late goal as well.

“I think that when we start believing, we’re pretty much unstoppable,” said USF goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi, who had six saves. “I knew that our defense would pull it out.”

On Thursday, USF played Pittsburgh (5-2-3, 0-0-3) to a scoreless tie on the road.

Despite the result, both teams had plenty of chances.

Early in the first half, Pittsburgh forward Liz Carroll had a header float just above the goal post. In the 62nd minute, Klotz received a deflected shot in front of goal but her shot attempt sailed over the crossbar.

Pittsburgh led the Bulls in shots and shots on goal Lofton-Malachi recorded seven saves on her way to her third shutout of the season.

“I am proud of the way the team came in and battled for 110 minutes,” Schilte-Brown said. “Of course, we wanted to come out with a victory, but a tie on the road in this conference is an acceptable outcome.”