Sanford, Greene leave for MLB

USF lost junior pitcher Shawn Sanford and signee Chase Greene after they announced last week that they’ll be signing professional contracts.

Sanford, a 13th-round pick of the San Francisco Giants, had one year of eligibility left at USF but chose to forego his senior year Thursday. He led the Bulls last season with
64 strikeouts.

“It was kind of a spontaneous decision,” Sanford told The St. Petersburg Times. “I love USF so much and was looking forward to next year, but it’s a little more promising for me to start in the pros this year.”

Greene, a 16th-round selection of the New York Mets, said to the Times that he’d be signing a pro contract.

With Sanford gone, USF will need a third weekend starter to complement Randy Fontanez and Derrick Stultz, who are both entering their junior seasons.

Still in the process of making a decision are brothers Nick and Ryan Lockwood.

Nick Lockwood, a USF signee, was the first Bull selected in the draft, going in the eighth round to the Minnesota Twins. Ryan Lockwood, a redshirt sophomore, was taken in the 39th round by the Oakland Athletics.

Two other signees, Alonso High School’s Ray Delphey and Jefferson High School’s Chad Taylor, still  plan to attend USF, the Times reported.

Taylor, a shortstop and outfielder, was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 13th round, and Delphey, a right-handed pitcher, was selected by the San Diego Padres in the 42nd round.

Staff report