Campus summer fashion trends
Warm summer breezes typically bring barbeques, pool parties, vacations and a fun new wardrobe. This year’s summer fashion trends seem to be light, breezy, comfortable and a little bold.
After skimming the pages of popular fashion magazines such as GQ, Harper’s Bazaar, Lucky and Glamour, the Oracle did some trend spotting at USF to compile the most popular looks for summer on campus.
Ladies — Accessories
• Wedges, espadrilles, flats, gladiator sandals and embellished flip-flops
• Oversized sunglasses in candy color shades
• Beaded or enamel necklaces
• Summer scarves in light fabrics
• Hobo bags
• Maxi, bustier, and traditional summer dresses
• Graphic prints
Ladies — Trends
• Bold colors
• Colors that “clash”
• Mixing patterns
• Sea tones and textures
• Safari/African themes
• Nautically inspired looks
• White jeans
Marcelle Issa, a junior majoring in biomedical science, wears a blouse with a floral print. Similar tops range from $15.80-$17.80 at Forever 21.
Skinny jeans are still trendy despite the summer heat, and colors like bright blue are in style. Pants like those worn by sophomore biology major Juliana Cafiero can be found at Hot Topic for around $30.
Lightweight scarves in floral prints and bold colors are in style this summer. Scarves similar to the one worn by Aileen Nardone, a junior biomedical science major, range from $3.98-$16.99 at Target.
Bold colors stand out on this students’ Converse shoes. Bright shoelaces make them stand out and create even more of a fashion statement.
For males, moccasins and boat shoes are in style. Most well-known are those made by Sperry, but a cheaper, similar style can be found at Target for about $30 a pair.
Guys — Trends
• Square Aviator sunglasses
• Hats — fedoras, trilbies, porkpies and driving caps in light summer fabrics such as straw or cotton
• Canvas belts
• Khakis as casual wear
• Open collars on button- downs to reveal a bare chest
• Canvas casual shoes such as Converse or Vans
• Boat shoes such as Sperry Top-Siders