UP still looking for alleged gunman

Increased night patrols will continue on campus until University Police (UP) ends an open investigation of an alleged gunman, said UP spokeswoman Lt. Meg Ross.

On Friday, UP interviewed a white male who fit the identity of the reported gunman. The suspect was walking on campus in a white “Go Greek” T-shirt and blue jeans along Holly Drive on Thursday.

The suspect was not taken into custody and his name has not been released, because the investigation is active.

Kylie Blahut, a senior majoring in pre-nursing, made a 911 call Thursday and said she saw the male holding a gun while she was driving on Holly Drive towards Greek Village.

In his statement to UP, the suspect said he was carrying a wallet and a cell phone.

“I am 100 percent certain it was a gun in his hand,” Blahut said to the Oracle on Friday.

Ross said the male was seen walking along 50th Street near Fletcher Avenue; 50th and Holly Drive; and north on Fowler Avenue. UP and Hillsborough County agencies received three separate phone calls from people who saw the suspect.

A MoBull alert was sent around 4 p.m. stating, “Police responding to report of man with gun on NE side of campus near Greek Village. Avoid area.”

Authorities searched the area Thursday but did not find a gun or the suspect in question. The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office sent helicopters to assist in the search.

A second MoBull alert was sent around 5:30 p.m. It stated, “After reports of man with gun, police conducted thorough search of area. All activities continue as normal.”

At the time of the incident, UP and the Tactical Response Team arrived at the Marshall Student Center (MSC) to brief prospective students and their parents who were attending a new-student orientation.

The MSC was not put on lockdown, Ross said to the Oracle on Thursday.

She said if anyone sees suspicious activity, they should contact UP at 813-974-2628.