Five Bulls taken in MLB draft

USF senior catcher Trey Manz, junior pitcher Shawn Sanford and incoming recruits Nick Lockwood, Chase Greene and Chad Taylor were selected on the second day of the Major League Baseball draft Wednesday.

Lockwood, brother of USF centerfielder Ryan Lockwood, was the first selected, taken by the Minnesota Twins in the ninth round with the 282nd pick.

“Nick is like his brother. He’s a great player who can do a lot of things — the things we like to do,” said USF coach Lelo Prado in a statement.

Sanford was taken in the 13th round by the San Francisco Giants with the 388th pick. Sanford was a starter and a reliever for the Bulls last season.

Taylor, a shortstop, was taken in the 13th round by the Chicago Cubs. Greene, who signed with USF in December along with Taylor and Lockwood, was drafted by the New York Mets in the 16th round with the 494th pick.

“(Taylor) is another one who can play anywhere on the field,” Prado said. “(Greene) is one of the fastest guys I’ve ever seen.”

Manz, who was named to the second team All Big-East, was taken by the Cincinnati Reds in the 26th round with the 779th overall pick.

“All of these guys are great kids and great ballplayers,” Prado said. “We’re happy for them and their families. It’s a great day for them.”

The three-day MLB draft will end today. USF has 12 remaining draft-eligible players.