Arrests made in bicycle theft

More information on a bicycle theft on campus, in which a resident assistant’s cooperation with University Police led to an arrest, was released Monday.

Alexandra McGarvey said in the incident report that three males, who had already stolen two bicycles, were using bolt cutters to cut a lock on a third bicycle June 1, around 8 p.m., near Residence Hall Cypress C.

She said the three males left on bicycles toward Maple Drive when she contacted UP.

Officers took Jarodrick Ashley, an 18-year-old male, and a juvenile into custody, said UP spokeswoman Lt. Meg Ross. McGarvey identified the individuals as two of the perpetrators.

Ross said Ashley was transferred to Hillsborough County Jail. The other male was transferred to the Juvenile Assessment Center.

Ashley, a student at the Florida Workforce GED Center, has not made any statements, Ross said.

Detailed information regarding the juvenile was withheld.

Ross said an Allied Barton Security Officer found bolt cutters hidden in the bushes, which were given to UP.

UP impounded the two bicycles involved in the case. Ross said neither of them have been claimed.

Ross said two more bikes were reported stolen last weekend. One was reported stolen from Residence Hall Cypress C sometime between May 29 and June 1, while the other was reported stolen from the Library on Saturday. UP has no leads on either case.

Ross said one of the victims, Adam Williams, gave the serial number of his bicycle to police.

“UP puts the serial numbers in a national database of stolen items,” she said. “If the serial number pops up on the database down the street or all the way in Georgia, we’ll know.”

The other victim, Jonathan Bing, reported his bicycle stolen after reading the crime alert in the Oracle’s Monday issue, Ross said.

Williams and Bing were unavailable for comment.

Ross said bicycles are sometimes left completely unsecured.

“During the summer, unsupervised juveniles with idle hands come onto campus,” she said. “If the opportunity arises, they figure they can take it.”

Andrew Huse, an assistant librarian at USF, rides his bicycle to campus and uses a U-shaped steel lock.

“I’m afraid to leave my bicycle unattended,” he said. “You get a lot of new students who think they can leave their bikes. We have all kinds of outsiders who come in here and take anything not bolted down.”

Jorge Hermez, a senior majoring in advertising, said the large student population may be a reason why there has been an increase in bicycle thefts.

“When I first started school here, my brother warned me about people stealing bikes on campus,” Hermez said. “He had his bike stolen from the Kappa Sig House when he was a freshman.”

Ross said students should contact UP at 813-974-2628 if they have had a bicycle stolen.