Landi looks to fill other roles for USF

Redshirt freshman quarterback Evan Landi is used to making adjustments, so it wasn’t too hard to fit in when he started working with the wide receivers last week.

“I just want to help out in whatever way I can,” Landi said.

Less than a week later, he might be doing more than he expected.

With coach Jim Leavitt’s announcement Tuesday that senior wide receiver Jessie Hester will miss the rest of spring practice with an ankle injury, Landi may see more opportunity to play in the Bulls’ spring game April 11.

USF is also without junior A.J. Love, who is recovering from an ACL injury suffered in the
magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl on Dec. 20.

“Landi’s doing good … and he’s adjusting real well at wide receiver,” said USF offensive coordinator Mike Canales. “He’s that type of athlete, wanting to do things like change positions.”

Landi, who played as both quarterback and defensive back in high school, said he prefers playing quarterback but is happy for the opportunity to play at wide receiver. Leavitt even placed Landi on the starting kickoff return team at Wednesday’s practice.

“I really want to be a quarterback someday, but it’s been good spending time with the receivers and seeing how they do things in practice,” Landi said. “Hopefully, I’ll be able to help the team out next season.”

Landi, a Coral Springs native, was 2A first-team all-state as a senior, throwing for
11 touchdowns on offense with three interceptions and 60 tackles as a safety. Leavitt said he’s hoping to use Landi’s athleticism this fall.

“Obviously, I’m wanting to play him (this spring) to get him ready for the fall,” he said. “He’s going to play a lot of football for us this fall, and I’ll be shocked if he’s not in our regular rotation at receiver.”

Leavitt said Landi will work at the receiver position and as backup quarterback this spring.