Marve attends scrimmage

He stood on the practice field Saturday sporting a backward Cincinnati Reds baseball cap and exchanging words with USF coaches and players. All the while, somewhere in the back of Robert Marve’s mind a decision loomed that he has yet to make.

Marve, who is looking to transfer schools after spending his freshman season at Miami last year, attended USF’s first full-pad scrimmage of spring football Saturday as the Bulls prepared for the Green and Gold game April 11.

The former Plant Senior High School quarterback has narrowed down his list of potential schools to four and USF is one of them, his father Eugene said Saturday.

“We love what South Florida is doing right now, making its way up into the national rankings and having an excellent coaching staff,” he said.

Though Marve didn’t specify the other three schools he was considering, his father said USF would be perfect, as senior quarterback Matt Grothe is entering his final season and Marve would have to sit out a year because of NCAA transfer rules.

“It’d be a good fit for Robert because of Grothe,” he said. “It really works out for us in that sense.”

Marve, who threw for 1,293 yards and nine touchdowns last season, spoke with offensive coordinator Mike Canales after the scrimmage. 

“We were really impressed to see some of the offense, and we are even more impressed with the coaching staff’s opinion of Robert,” Eugene said. “I really felt like we were a part of the family, but it’s not my decision to make, it’s Robert’s decision.”

Though the scrimmage was completely closed to the media, USF coach Jim Leavitt said the Bulls went more than 100 snaps with Grothe and redshirt freshmen B.J. Daniels and Evan Landi splitting time at quarterback.

“I thought a lot of guys did some good things out there, but it’s hard to get a feel for anything because you haven’t looked at the film,” Leavitt said.

The Bulls will kick off their spring game on April 11 at 7 p.m. at Raymond James Stadium.