Eriksen: We can’t take anything for granted

Though the Bulls have won six of their last seven games — and two USF pitchers threw complete game shutouts Tuesday — that doesn’t mean USF coach Ken Eriksen is content with where the team is.

Looking to continue its success, USF (19-10) will host the Under Armour Showcase at the Eddie C. Moore Softball Complex in Clearwater this weekend.

“We can’t take anything for granted and we can’t get too happy or we’re full of baloney,” Eriksen said. “We have to remember the things we weren’t doing five or six days ago and continue to do those things.”

Freshman Brittany Bowles was named to the Big East Honor Roll last week, and junior Kristen Gordon had two consecutive complete game shutouts with 20 strikeouts. Eriksen said Gordon’s performance is impressive.

“Right now, she’s putting herself at a level of softball that’s pretty phenomenal,” he said. “She’s so confident, and the team is confident behind her.”

Freshman center fielder Janine Richardson is batting .302 with a home run and 14 RBIs. She said the team’s recent success could continue if it maintains its energy.

“We definitely need to stay pumped in the dugout and continue to get the timely hits,” she said. “We’re finally beginning to put it together now.”

USF put things together with a doubleheader sweep in its opening Big East contest against Connecticut on Tuesday.

This weekend’s field consists of 15 teams. The Bulls play Loyola and UMass on Friday at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively. On Saturday, USF takes on Central Michigan and George Washington and finishes with a lone Sunday game against Jacksonville State.

“Loyola (Marymount) and UMass are two great teams,” Eriksen said. “It doesn’t get any easier for us. Our motto right now is that the easiest day was yesterday and tomorrow is another challenge. We have to build on what we were able to do against Connecticut and play consistent softball.”