Mueller helps USF win

Helped by a former Buckeye, the USF women’s tennis team picked up an impressive 5-2 win over the No. 35 Ohio State Buckeyes at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Sunday.

Former Ohio State player and current Bull Allyn Mueller helped USF in both doubles and single play during the win.   

“It was a lot of fun playing against my old school,” Mueller said. “It was great that we won, because I wouldn’t want to transfer from a good school and then come back and lose to them.”

After dropping the doubles point and losing two of the three matches, USF (2-7) won five of its six singles points to secure the win and put an end to Ohio State’s (7-6) four-match winning streak.

Mueller and her partner, Jessica Zok, were the only USF pair to win in doubles, defeating Cami Hubbs and Julie Blackmore. Mueller also led in singles against Blackmore, but the Ohio State player retired because the Bulls clinched the match during play.

“It was a hard match because I had to concentrate so much on the ball and not who I was playing against,” Mueller said. “I’m still very close and keep in touch with a lot of the girls on the (Ohio State) team.”

Another USF player who had a big day was top singles player Irene Rehberger. Playing in her third match of the season, Rehberger defeated Ohio State’s Kirsten Flower in straight sets, 6-0 and 6-4.

“I felt very good today,” Rehberger said. “I played great in the first set and then let up a bit in the second before taking control at the end.”

South Florida coach Agustin Moreno said he was happy with the team’s ability to come together and get a win.

“The team is changing,” Moreno said. “We are playing very motivated tennis.”