Mueller to face former school

For USF junior Allyn Mueller, Sunday’s matchup against Ohio State has heightenaed her excitement.

The University of South Florida women’s tennis team plays its first of nine consecutive home matches Sunday at 11 a.m., hosting the Buckeyes at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.

Mueller transferred to USF from Ohio State after her freshman season in 2007. With the Buckeyes, she had a 6-3 record during the fall season. She said she is eager to face her former school.

“I know we will win,” she said. “Ohio State is a great school with great athletics, but I am a USF Bull now, and I love my teammates. Ohio State is going to have its hands full.”

The No. 37 Buckeyes are 6-5 on the season and are on a three-match win streak. The Bulls are coming off two losses from last weekend and have a 1-7 record.

“I’m really excited for the Ohio State match,” Mueller said. “I think it will be a close and tough, though, because I know those girls have been training very hard.”

USF dropped two matches against Texas and Texas A&M last week, and coach Agustin Moreno said the Buckeyes will be just as hard.

“It is going to be a tough match,” Moreno said. “We beat them up at their place last year, so I feel that we have a good chance.”

Mueller said she maintains a close relationship with her ex-teammates.

“I do talk to them,” she said. “Some are still really close friends of mine.”