Women’s tennis moves to 0-5 with loss at VCU

Still competing without its top two players, the South Florida women’s tennis team left Virginia Commonwealth with a 6-1 loss Sunday at the Thalhimer Tennis Center, moving the Bulls’ record to 0-5.

Coming off a 6-1 victory Saturday against Virginia Tech, the Rams allowed only Bulls’ junior Lauren Shumate to gain a point.

Despite further injuring her knee Feb. 15 against Florida State, Shumate was able to practice all week and came up with the victory over VCU’s Mihaela Bunea.

“Lauren (Shumate) is definitely committed to the team as a student athlete,” said Bulls coach Agustin Moreno. “She has great character.”

The win was No. 37 VCU’s eighth of the season.

“It was a very hard match for us because they (VCU) have great players and are a good team,” Moreno said. “We beat them two years ago here when they were ranked 12th in the country, but they were really tough today.”

The Bulls are still without Irene Rehberger, who is awaiting an NCAA eligibility ruling after transferring from Spain, and sophomore Janette Bejlkova, who is continuing rehabilitation from ankle surgery.

“Not having our two best players makes it really hard for us right now,” Moreno said. “We just have to continue to fight and gain confidence.”

USF will not have much time to dwell on the defeat. The Bulls host Eastern Michigan
(2-5) today at 2 p.m. at the USF Varsity Tennis courts.