Bill Nye the Science Guy expected to attract large crowd

The man who combined comedy and science, Bill Nye, will visit USF to share his career experiences with students.

The University Lecture Series (ULS) will host “An Evening with Bill Nye” today. Nye — who for many years worked as an engineer during the day and a comedian at night — went on to write and work for Seattle’s comedy show Almost Live. During his time with the show he created his persona, “Bill Nye the Science Guy.”

The popular ’90s television show — Bill Nye the Science Guy — won him seven national Emmys for writing, producing and performing. Nye has written five children’s books and is the host of the television shows The Eyes of Nye and The 100 Greatest Discoveries.

ULS student director Tim Repass said the idea to bring Bill Nye to USF came from a student’s suggestion.

“It kind of just came out of nowhere,” he said. “Sometimes there’s just a lot of people you don’t think of, and when you get the suggestion you put it on the survey.”

Students vote for ULS speakers each year, and Repass said that many wanted Nye to speak.

“He was one of the most popular people on the survey,” he said. “Based upon what the students asked for, we decided to bring him.”

Repass said the event will probably be the biggest lecture of the year, and ULS is taking necessary steps to prepare for many guests.

If the Marshall Student Center (MSC) Ballroom’s 1000 seats sell out, overflow will carry into the Oval Theater, also located in the MSC, where students can watch the event on a projector screen, he said.

“We are going to be videotaping the lecture and there is going to be a live feed,” Repass said.

ULS decided to create an overflow room so that students will still have the chance to participate in the book signing after the lecture, said ULS Student Director Amy Bortzfield.

“Based on previous lectures where we didn’t have enough seats, like Dr. Drew, we want to see if this overflow (idea) will work,” Repass said.

Repass recommended that students arrive when the doors open at 6 p.m., as ULS anticipates all seats in the Ballroom will be filled quickly.

Nye’s lecture includes a power point presentation and a question and answer session, he said.

“It’s a great opportunity for the students to meet one of our (childhood) idols,” Repass said.

“An Evening with Bill Nye” will take place tonight in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom at 7 p.m. The event is free for USF students.