Glover and Justice come to USF in honor of King

Tonight, two legends of civil rights will come to life at the Sun Dome. The University Lecture Series will recognize Martin Luther King Day with its dramatic presentation of “An Evening with Martin and Langston,” featuring actors Danny Glover and Felix Justice.

Glover is best known for his roles in the movies Lethal Weapon and Angels in the Outfield. Justice, a close friend of Glover’s, is also a trained actor who has been giving similar talks for years.

“First, Felix Justice comes on and takes on the persona of Martin Luther King Jr. Then he introduces Danny Glover, who comes out as Langston Hughes,” said ULS Student Director Amy Bortzfield.

Unlike other speakers this academic year, ULS did not choose Glover and Justice through a student survey. Instead, they were chosen for the MLK holiday, which ULS honors every year, Bortzfield said.

“Felix and I have been giving these talks since 1991,” Glover said in a phone interview Tuesday. “They are two distinctive presentations which will present engaging language for the audience.”

A question-and-answer session always follows the lecture, Glover said.

ULS will also allow students to meet Glover and Justice after the event adjourns, when the two will sign autographs, Bortzfield said.

Before the event, ULS will host a small student organization fair featuring 10 USF clubs. Each organization will be black-heritage themed to coincide with the MLK talk, Bortzfield said.

This will be the first ULS event this year to take place at the Sun Dome, which is necessary because of the expected turnout.

“It’s the MLK lecture, which usually brings a larger crowd, with both a community involvement and a black-heritage festival group attending,” Bortzfield said. “The Sun Dome was chosen so the ULS would not have to turn anyone away.”

ULS anticipates a crowd of 2,000, she said.

“An Evening with Martin and Langston” is scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday at the Sun Dome. Doors open at 6 p.m. The event is free for USF students. General admission is $10.