Student suffers chemical burns

Around 4 p.m. Wednesday, a chemical spill prompted the evacuation of the Science Center Building.
A graduate assistant was exposed to butylamine, a chemical that can cause irritation to the eye, nose, throat and skin, according to the US Department of Labor. He was taken to Tampa General Hospital to be treated further. His condition is unknown, though he was moving when taken away by paramedics.
No MoBull alert was sent to students because of the nature of the emergency.
“It was a contained incident and it affected just one student,” said USF Spokeswoman Lara Wade. “It wasn’t a public threat.”
As of 5:45 p.m., Tampa Fire Rescue determined that the spill was contained to one room. The building will remain closed until the Hillsborough County Health Department cleans it and deems it safe for students.