Soccer showdown in New York

MEN’S SOCCER GAME TIME
No. 12 USF (8-2-2) at No. 4 St. John’s (10-1-2)
When: Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Belson Stadium
TV/Radio: None

The pressure is on for two of the Big East’s ranked teams.

No. 12 USF and St. John’s will battle for first place in the Big East Red Division as the Bulls travel to Queens to take on the Red Storm on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

USF and St. John’s are tied atop the standings at 5-1-1 in Big East play this year.

The Red Storm are 10-1-2 on the year and come in to Saturday’s showdown ranked No. 4 in the country.

“It’s a challenge, but it should be a lot of fun,” junior Zak Boggs said. “It’s a tough environment up there from what I’ve heard.”

St. John’s has allowed only six goals all year and is second in the Big East in goals scored, with 22.

The Bulls have gone to overtime in three of their last four games, yielding two wins and a tie.

“It’s going to have a positive effect down the stretch,” Boggs said of his team’s recent overtime performances.

With Tuesday’s win, the Bulls improved to 8-2-2 on the year. They have held opponents scoreless in all but four games. Opposing teams have managed just two goals against USF in Big East play.

Boggs, who had the game winner last week against Louisville, is due for some lucky breaks, coach George Kiefer said.

“Zak’s a goal scorer,” he said. “He’s been one of the most unlucky kids this year with some of the chances. I have a feeling he’s going to break out of his shell a little bit.”

The Bulls beat the Red Storm last year 2-0 but know that this year will be anything but a walk in the park.

“They’re a great program,” Boggs said. “They have been for many years.”

The Bulls return to conference play after taking care of rival UCF 1-0 in overtime Tuesday night with the late-game heroics of senior Kevon Neaves, who put in the game-winning header at the outset of the first overtime.